That is “Dots,” VolleyballMag.com’s weekly have a look at 10 issues in highschool volleyball, previous or current, that curiosity me and hopefully will curiosity you. Search for Dots each Tuesday till the final highschool state championship this month:
• There was an avalanche of state championship occasions final weekend, with 18 states and the District of Columbia holding some or all of their ultimate matches. There are new champions this week in Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Minnesota, Montana, Nevada, New Jersey, Ohio, Rhode Island, Texas, Virginia, Washington and West Virginia.
Because the Dots column contemplates solely 10 objects, reasonably than try and recap EVERYTHING, listed below are the outcomes I discovered most fascinating from the week that was.
• Final week, we reported on the lengthy consecutive title streaks of Omaha Skutt Catholic (9), Tempo Academy of Georgia (seven) and Lone Peak of Utah (six).
Add Metairie Park Nation Day of Louisiana to the checklist. The Cajuns received their eighth straight Div. V title and 14th up to now 15 seasons in three over Westminster Christian. 4 gamers, led by junior Jane Gambel with 14, had 9 or extra kills for Nation Day. The Cajuns received 10 kills from senior Gigi Dazet, however she is one in all only a few graduating gamers on a roster full of 11 juniors. Which means to count on a ninth title in 2024. And, with Nation Day a program with big-time expertise within the smallest division, don’t count on the streak to finish anytime quickly until Louisiana forces the Cajuns into the next division based mostly on success
Additionally in Louisiana, the 2 most adorned seniors within the state – each coached by their mothers — closed out unimaginable careers with state titles.
In Div. I, OH Camryn Chatelier had 21 kills, together with the clincher, to assist Dominican get by Mount Carmel in 4 units (33-31 within the fourth). Zoie Mitchell and Tamia Williams mixed for 33 extra, because of deft setting from Gabby Morello. Dominican has now received 4 consecutive state championships. Mount Carmel senior libero Nola Sevin had 40 digs within the loss. Earlier than Dominican’s present streak, Mount Carmel had received the earlier six titles.
In Div. III., OH Sophia Bonnaffee had 24 kills and 10 digs to propel Archbishop Hannan previous E.D. White in straight units. Senior setter Sarah Kirsch, like Bonnaffee a four-year starter, contributed 34 assists. Hannan has received state three of the previous 4 years.
St. Thomas Extra received its third straight title, and ninth all-time, by defeating acquainted foe Teurlings Catholic in Div. II. The previous 4 Div. II finals have featured this pair. Rhyan Miciotto earned Participant of the Match recognition after amassing 14 kills and 24 assists.
Northlake Christian received Div. IV, capturing state for the primary time since 2009. The Wolverines dominated Notre Dame behind Abigail Bailey (18 kills), Abigail Drury (38 assists; 14 digs) and freshman Evie Burns (11 blocks).
• Mom McAuley received its second straight Illinois Class 4A title and seventeenth all-time in a three-set thriller with Benet Academy, which was a rematch of final 12 months’s championship ultimate. Ellie White had 18 kills and eight digs and Payton Heatherly recorded 32 assists and 13 digs for the victors.
Wheaton St. Francis repeated as Class 3A champions. The Spartans edged Lincoln, 23-25, 25-23, 26-24, behind the robust play of Addy Horner and Anna Paquette. The duo mixed for 25 kills and 30 digs and Horner, a 6-3 junior, additionally had 23 assists and three blocks. St. Francis’ different setter, KK Dumpit, chipped in with 19 assists, however had no kills, as she not often attacked the second ball. St. Francis now has 14 titles in program historical past. Kloe Froebe and Peyton Sasse teamed for 29 kills and 29 digs within the loss for the Railsplitters.
Breese Mater Dei received its first Class 2A title since 2011, and eighth all-time, by defeating IC Catholic Prep in two units. Addie Nenninger had 18 assists and 4 kills to guide the Knights. Elyse Strader delivered the title-clinching kill.
Galena received its first state title in Class 1A, defeating perennial energy Hartsburg-Emden in straight units. The state title is the primary of any type for the college since 2007. Galena, which received double digit kills from Gracie Furlong and Addie Hefel, has received 30 or extra matches for the previous eight years.
• It’s the top of an period in Minnesota, because the Swenson twins, setter Stella Swenson and OH Olivia Swenson, led Wayzata to a fourth straight Class 4A title. The Trojans accomplished an ideal 34-0 season by sweeping three shut units from New Prague behind 32 assists and 5 kills from Stella Swenson and 14 kills and two blocks from Olivia Swenson, each of whom are Minnesota Golden Gopher recruits.
Marshall received its third straight Class 3A title, sweeping Delano. The Tigers had been led by senior Brielle Riess, who returned to the courtroom after struggling an ankle harm early within the match and notched a match-high 18 kills.
Pequot Lakes, the 2A runner up in 2002, received its first title, in three over Rush Metropolis. Ella Kratochvil had 20 kills and 11 digs to guide the senior-dominated Patriots.
Russell-Tyler-Ruthton used 21 kills and 15 digs from Abigail Carr and one other 15 kills from Allyson Nelson in a four-set win over perennial energy Mayer Lutheran to win its first Class A title. The Knights received state of their first journey to the state match.
• Kings defeated Olentangy Orange to seize the Ohio Division I title. Elise Marchal had 28 kills, a match document in a three-set match; and Abby Yoder contributed 38 assists, 9 digs, 4 kills and two aces for the first-time champions.
Maria Drapp collected 46 assists and added 12 digs, 5 kills and two aces as Mercy McAuley edged Gilmour Academy, 16-14 within the fifth, for the Div. II title. Sophia Adkins had 19 kills and 16 digs and Emma Adkins added 23 digs for the victors, who received their first title as a mixed college. The varsity shaped in 2017 from Mom of Mercy and McAuley faculties..
Mentor Lake Catholic efficiently defended its Div. III title by sweeping Archbishop McNicholas behind 21 Katie Sowko kills and 40 Hannah Pattie assists.
New Bremen repeated as Div. IV champion. The Cardinals, who received 20 kills from Olivia Heitkamp within the four-set win over Tiffin Calvert, have received 4 state championships since 2017.
• Prestonwood Christian Academy received the TAPPS 6A state championship on Saturday, defeating St. Agnes in three units to repeat as Texas’ large-class non-public college champions. The Lions positioned 4 gamers, Macaria Spears (Texas), Jadyn Livings (USC), Gillian Pitts (Houston), and Mikala Younger (TCU), on the All-State Event staff. PCA has a roster loaded with high-level Division I expertise.
Different TAPPS titles went to Liberty Christian (5A), Grace Prep Academy (4A). Denton Calvary (3A), Ovilla Christian (2A) and Christ Academy-Wichita Falls (1A). Liberty Christian’s title was its second over three years.
• Flint Hill college received its thirteenth Virginia Unbiased Colleges state title over the previous 14 years by downing Bishop O’Connell in 4 units. Senior OH Mickhaila Murray had 18 kills and 18 digs to guide the Huskies, who additionally received 18 kills, 20 assists and 14 digs from junior S/RS/OH Isabelle Bardin, 14 kills from senior MB Ryla Jones, 27 digs from sophomore libero Evie Huang and 34 assists from senior setter Natalie Nguyen. Flint Hill completed 33-3 on the 12 months and undefeated towards Virginia competitors.
Nansemond-Suffolk Academy received the VISAA title in Div. II, StoneBridge took the crown in Div. III and Fuqua captured Div. IV.
• In Alaska, for 17 years the large-class state champion was both South Anchorage or Dimond. That modified on Saturday, when Wasilla, a staff with 6-3 and 6-5 middles, accomplished a sweep via 4A with a win over Bettye Davis East, its fourth sweep this 12 months over Bettye Davis. The title was the primary for the Warriors since 2001. Senior Rylee Pitney had the ultimate kill within the win. She completed with greater than 500 on the 12 months.
Kenai Central received its second straight 3A title, in 4 over Valdez. Emma Beck had 24 kills and 14 digs and Kate Wisnewski contributed 41 assists and 23 digs within the win.
• O’Connor had dropped simply 5 units going into the Arizona 6A ultimate. The Eagles dropped yet another, to Perry, however prevailed in 4 to seize their first state title. Devyn Wiest led the way in which with 17 kills. Avery Stones had 16 kills for Perry within the loss.
Teraya Sigler, arguably the most effective participant nationally within the 2025 class, recorded 30 kills and 29 digs to guide Horizon previous Millennium in 5 units for the 5A title. The Huskies received their third straight title by successful the primary two units in additional time after which holding on towards a Tiger staff sparked by Gabbi Kucinski, Anee Brauchmiller and Talea Mitchell. The title was the primary for first-year coach McKenna Skaggs, a alumnus who was a part of Horizon’s first title staff in 2009.
Dissy Brinkerhoff had 23 kills to guide ALA-Gilbert North previous defending champion Estrella Foothills for the 4A title, the primary for the Eagles.
Snowflake received the 3A title for the second consecutive season. The Lobos downed Valley Christian in 4 units, avenging a regular-season loss to the No. 1 seed. Chelsea Caskey, Macey Gardner and Livi Schneider all had double digit kill totals for the victors.
Quincy Rodin led Trivium Prep, a semifinal loser the earlier 5 years, previous two-time defending champion Phoenix Nation Day for the 2A title.
Cicero Prep overcame an 0-3 begin to the season to brush St. David for its first 1A state title. The Centurions received 25 of their final 28 matches and beat a St. David staff with 9 state titles in its historical past.
• Valor Christian wo its second straight Colorado 5A title and prolonged its successful streak to 58, however the Eagles had been pushed to the restrict by Fossil Ridge. The Sabercats received the primary set and the fourth and led by three late within the fifth earlier than Valor rallied for the win. Grace Langer and Delaney Russell every eclipsed double digit kills within the win.
Palmer Ridge received the 4A title – its second all-time – in an epic five-set battle over Thompson Valley. Large hitters Corrie Anderson and Amelia Hansen and defenders Ciara Connors and Emily Klahn led the way in which.
Sophia Knevelbaard, one in all six seniors on Resurrection Christian’s roster, served a match level ace to ship the Cougars previous College Excessive for the 3A title, their first at this stage.
Wiggins received its second 2A title since 2020 by defeating 2021 and 2022 champions Sedgwick County in 5 units. Wiggins additionally received the regular-season match in 5 units.
Merino grew to become the primary 1A staff to win 4 straight titles because of a sweep of Simla. Merino now has 14 titles all-time, which is second to Platte Valley in Colorado historical past. Makenna Sutter, the daughter of head coach Christina Sutter, has been on the courtroom for all 4 titles. Her mom additionally received a championship throughout her enjoying days at Merino.
• Jada Aksu had 14 kills (.464) and Clara Yu contributed 25 assists, 14 digs, 4 and three aces as Georgetown Day dominated Jackson-Reed to take the District of Columbia title, its second in as a few years. The Mighty Grasshoppers didn’t drop a set all through the DCSAA match.
• Bella Lee had 30 digs and Maggie Dostic contributed 18 kills and 16 digs to guide Plant previous Winter Park for the Florida 7A title. The Panthers have now received 12 titles all-time.
St. Thomas Aquinas received its seventh title all-time however first in 5 years by downing Viera in 6A, 27-25, 20-25, 27-25, 26-24. Tameary Wardlow’s 40 digs led the Raiders, who had three gamers attain double digit kill totals.
Middleburg swept Barron Collier to win 5A for the college’s first title. Connor Rahn, who was dominant all season, had 24 kills and 13 digs for the victors.
Jackie Taylor had a monster match – 26 kills, 6.5 blocks – to guide Gulliver Prep to the 4A title over Bishop Moore. The Raiders received their first state title simply three years faraway from a one-win season.
Freshman Lydia Chinchar recorded 35 kills and 19 digs to ship Carrollwood Day previous Westminster Christian for the 3A title. The title was the primary for Doug Chinchar, the longtime head coach at Bishop McLaughlin. Westminster Christian, which misplaced in its third straight championship match, received a mixed 49 kills and 41 digs from Gigi Artiles and Zoey Matias.
Seacrest Nation Day Faculty edged Boca Raton Christian, 15-11 within the fifth, to win its second straight 2A title. The Stingrays, who had been led by Sami Soderlund (25 kills), Milena Lopez (51 assists) and Lexi Haley (20 digs) not solely repeated regardless of graduating 4 starters from the 2022 tittle staff, they set a faculty document for wins with 29.
Baker defeated Branford for the 1A title behind 24 kills and 17 digs from junior Kaleigh Moss.
• One 12 months after lacking the state match for the primary time in 21 years, Kamehameha-Kapalama is the Hawaii Division 1 champion for the twenty fourth time in program historical past and 12thh time below present head coach Chris Blake. The Warriors’ street to the title included a sweep of Moanalua within the quarterfinals and a four-set win over ILH rival Punahou for the title. Kamehameha misplaced the primary time it performed the Buffanblu this 12 months, however received the final 5 conferences. Hawaii signee Adrianna Arquette led the way in which with 17 kills, 18 digs and 6 blocks. Oregon State recruit Emma Lilo was masterful directing the assault with 43 assists, and added 10 digs. Sophomore OH Kala Chock additionally performed massive, contributing 16 kills and 7 digs. Lulu Uluave led Punahou with 18 kills and 17 digs
Mid-Pacific Institute received its first-ever title on Friday, holding off College Lab in 5 units in Division 2. Payton Smith had 20 kills for Mid-Pac and was chosen the sport’s Most Excellent Participant. It was the Owls’ first 12 months competing in Division 2. Miliana Sylvester had 25 kills to guide College Lab.
• Bishop Gorman wanted 4 units to seize the Nevada 5A title over defending champion Coronado. Exterior hitters Ayanna Watson and Leilia Toailoa had 26 and 21 kills, respectively, for the Gaels, who additionally received 59 assists from Trinity Thompson and 29 digs from Tatum Thompson.
Durango received 32 kills and 18 digs from Angelina Guerrero to propel the Trailblazers previous Legacy for the 4A title.
The Meadows, North Tahoe and Smith Valley additionally received state title. Teagan York had 13 kills to guide Smith Valley (34-2) to the 1A title.
• Tower Hill, seeded ninth within the Delaware state match, upset No. 1 St. Mark’s in three units. This was a rematch of the 2022 title tilt, which the Hillers additionally received. The match was performed in entrance of a loud St. Mark’s crowd. Tower Hill’s Molly Pietlock received her 1,000 help within the first set on a kill by freshman Sydney Fischer. Pietlock ended her milestone match with 8 kills, 18 assists, 12 digs and three blocks. Lydia Spencer led the staff offensively with 14 kills, whereas senior libero Meghan Mumford led the protection with 22 digs.
• Immaculate Coronary heart Academy (29-1) defeated Paul VI for the New Jersey Non-Public A title. Abby Romero had 23 digs. IHA had its streak of 13 straight titles snapped, by Paul VI, in 2021, however has since received the final two to extend its all-time complete to 17.
Different Backyard State titles went to Rutgers Prep (Non-Public B), Southern (Group 4), Princeton (Group 3), Demarest (Group 2) and Verona (Group 1).
• Sure, there are 17 Dots this week. Forgive me for going over! Subsequent week, to compensate, there can be simply three Dots.
Till subsequent time …